Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Heroes in their own story

Have you had ever had a conversation with someone who most obviously on drugs or been around  a human being who was so desperate to be RIGHT that they were willing to go to almost any length in an argument to make everyone metaphorically bleed?
I have.
Almost Daily.
On the other hand.  I have  seen the heights of people reaching out to help others.  Often times from the same people.

I'm not offering any earth shattering insight when I say at the best of times people are complex creatures, but it is something that all too many writers and directors forget  when  developing a story.

It is too simple to just to throw a flat character out and allow your reader to see that  the so called character is nothing more than a place holder in your story.  Villain, Hero, Red shirt, Love Interest; nothing more than an interchangeable piece in what ever puzzle you are putting together.


Humans are so much more than that.   Even the worst of us are more complex than simply the word EVIL.  Most importantly in my mind:  at the end of the day everyone wants to the be the Hero in their story.

I guess the moral to my story is: one key ingredient to a great story is to create characters as complex as the people I meet daily.  I pray that is a recipe for success.

1 comment:

  1. Right after I posted this my boss hit me with a great line that seems to relate: You can be right or you can be in a relationship.

    ReplyDelete