Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oregon Trip part 2: an idea engine

Three years ago, just after my wife discovered she was pregnant with our first child, she informed me we were taking a vacation since, in her words, it would be the last time  we could go together "for years".   Flash forward to Christmas, when I am informed that before Child 2.0 arrived we were having a "romantic getaway"  for similar reasons.  Hence  the trip to the Oregon Coast.


I could talk about the fabulous place we stayed or the sights we saw, but overall tonight I keep going back to the ideas that flowed from  being there.  Time and again  I would find myself transfixed by something I witnessed and out of it find myself inspired by  unrelated ideas.  For instance, at the Seal Lion Caves  I found myself thinking of a Pirate Story, an invasion tale,  and several others all while teasing my wife about the odds of witnessing an killer whale attack; which of course, would have been the best story of all.  Watching the Light house beams cut through the fog I found myself considering the stars, and how would an interstellar society would attract attention to dangers or even to themselves.

I guess the short form of the experience is a dream engine the likes of which  I haven't seen in a long time.  I tend to grind down in the details of work and lose my sense of wonder.  I'd like to thank the state of Oregon for shipping it back for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment